Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Itni muddat baad mile ho

Itni muddat baad mile ho
Ah, after awhile we finally toast

Kin sochon mein ghum rahte ho?
What thoughts are you in lost?

Tez hawa ne mujse poocha
The fast wind questioned

"Raeth pe kya likhte rahte ho?"
"What are you trying to write on the sand?"

Kaun si baat hai tum mein aisi?
What is so special about you?

Itni achche kyon lagte ho?
Why do I like you so much?

Hum se na poocho hijr ke kisse
Don't you ask me my tales of separation

Apni kaho, ab tum kaise ho?
Tell me your story, "Now, how are you?"


[muddat=after a long time;antiquity;of yore;past]
[ghum=lost;moving in circles;in a maze]
[tez=fast]
[raeth=sand]
[hijr=separation]
[kisse=anecdotes;tales;stories]

2 comments:

  1. Good work- for the benefit of this song lovers: it's almost 8 yrs since you posted but I see not a single comment. Yet after so long I've come across now.. & happy to share my appreciation. It helps (the non-Hindi, non-Urdu folks like me!) to enjoy the ghazal when knowing the meaning. Thanks for providing translation.

    I would suggest some changes- 1st line could be: 'after a long time you have met (or 'we have met'); 3rd line- 'the fast wind asked me:' ; 4th line: 'what do you keep writing on the sand?'; 5th line: 'what's it that's so special in you?'; 6th line could be: 'that you look so beautiful?' or 'how come you look so good?';
    then 7th line: 'ask not me the tales of separation';
    the last one: 'tell me yours, now how are you?'
    .......
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete